Subject: STAMMS abstracts ---

From: Umran Inan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:06:18 -0700

Dear Jolene -- Here are my two abstracts.   I am assuming you will be 
able to work with Pierette to have these submitted.   If at all 
possible,  I would like to have them both be talks, as I truly hate 
giving poster presentations.   If they cannot both be talks,  I will 
pull the second one out.   If you can schedule both of them, I would 
like to have them separated (in-time) from one another).    The 
second one could indeed be a short talk, and I believe Manuel would 
be interested in putting this into the STAMMS meeting proceedings as 
you suggested.

I have made arrangements (but not yet bought tickets) to arrive at 
Orleans (by train from Paris) mid-morning on the 12th, and return 
home on the 14th.   This gives me two days at the meeting,  and I am 
afraid it is the best I can do, given my extremely busy schedule at 
this point.    I will finalize plans after I hear from you.   By the 
way, which hotel should one stay in?

I will look  forward to the meeting, depending on whether you can fit 
the abstracts.  I am sorry for the delays,  but I finally worked out 
what I will do to cover my course and decided to attend after seeing 
that you and Pierette are disappointed.   I also realize that this 
might be a meeting that is not well attended,  and I wanted to  do my 
part to contribute to its success, as I believe CLUSTER is an 
excellent and unique mission.

Thanks and best regards.

--Umran

Abstracts for STAMMS meeting:

MULTI-POINT MEASUREMENTS OF THE SOURCE STRUCTURE AND MOTION OF 
DISCRETE ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES

Umran S. Inan
Space, Telecommunications and Radioscience (STAR) Laboratory, 
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA

The wideband instrument (WBD) on the CLUSTER spacecraft provides an 
unprecedented opportunity to measure the spatial extent and motion of 
what are believed to be highly compact source(s) of discrete 
electromagnetic whistler-mode emissions such as whistler-mode chorus. 
Chorus emissions are believed to be responsible for the acceleration 
of electrons to MeV energies in the outer radiation belts, as well as 
being responsible for the scattering loss of electrons  in the energy 
range of tens to hundreds of keV.  In view of the emerging importance 
of high energy radiation in the context of pace Weather and resultant 
effects on space-based  instrumentation and systems, understanding 
the mechanisms and effects of interactions of energetic particles 
with discrete chorus waves have recently come to for  as a matter of 
a renewed and imminent importance.   CLUSTER observations of chorus 
near the perigee of its orbit have led to surprising new features, 
such as  frequency shifts of up to a kHz between emissions observed 
on different (but nearby) satellites, allowing the first-ever 
determination of the rapid motions of the source(s) of these discrete 
and intense electromagnetic emissions.   In view of the compact 
nature of the source(s), such frequency shifts are expected to be 
highly dependent on the separation distance of the spacecraft.   In 
this talk, we summarize the highlights of CLUSTER observations of 
chorus, and quantify the dependence of the frequency shift on the 
separation distance of the observing spacecraft, in the context of 
highly compact but rapidly sources which produce these emissions.

CLUSTER OBSERVATIONS OF ELF/VLF SIGNALS GENERATED BY MODULATED 
HEATING OF THE LOWER IONOSPHERE WITH THE HAARP  HF TRANSMITTER

M. Platino,  U. S. Inan, T. F. Bell, J. Pickett
Space, Telecommunications and Radioscience (STAR) Laboratory, 
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA

Modulated HF transmissions has been a well established method for 
generation of ELF/VLF signals using the so-called "electrojet 
antenna".  Although most observations of the generated ELF/VLF 
signals have been realized on the ground, several low- and 
high-altitude satellite observations have also been reported [e.g., 
James et al., JGR, p. 12187, 1990].  One of the important unknowns in 
the physics of ELF/VLF wave generation by ionospheric heating is the 
spatial extent of the radiating source regions.  Multiple spacecraft 
observations with the CLUSTER/WBD instrument provide an excellent 
opportunity to determine the extent of the magnetospheric regions 
illuminated from the lower ionospheric regions heated by the HF 
transmitter, from which one can (via ray tracing) estimate the 
spatial extent and distribution of  the ELF/VLF source regions.  For 
this purpose, ground-satellite conjunction experiments have been 
conducted during the past few months between CLUSTER and the HF 
High-Frequency Active Auroral Program (HAARP) facility in Gakona, 
Alaska.  The HAARP facility is a highly agile and modern instrument, 
which is currently being upgraded to triple its radiated power and 
antenna array size by 2005.   Once completed, this facility will be 
the most powerful HF heater in the world, capable of producing 
ELF/VLF waves at intensities ten times higher than ever before. 
Being located on largely closed field lines at L=4.9, HAARP is 
currently also being used for ground-to-ground type of ELF/VLF 
wave-injection experiments, and will be increasingly used for this 
purpose as it is upgraded.  In this talk, we present recent results 
of the HAARP-CLUSTER experiments.

At 12:13 PM -0500 4/23/03, Jolene Pickett wrote:
>Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:13:59 -0500
>From: Jolene Pickett <[email-masked]>
>X-Accept-Language: en,pdf
>To: [email-masked]
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: STAMMS
>X-Priority: 1 (Highest)
>Status:  
>
>Dear Umran,
>
>Did you have Manuel submit the abstract for STAMMS?  If so,
>could you or he forward a copy to me.  The deadline for
>submission of abstracts was yesterday, but today would
>probably still be ok.
>
>Also, Pierretee is quite disappointed that you have decided
>not to attend STAMMS and present your chorus results.  She
>asks whether you would submit the work as a poster and have
>one of your co-authors present it.  She suggested me since
>I am the only one going to STAMMS of your co-authors (I
>think).  Unfortunately, I can only stand in one place at
>a time, so if you decided to make HAARP a poster and you
>agreed to the chorus work as a poster, the two would have
>to be co-located.  If the HAARP was an oral, there would
>be no problem with a chorus poster.
>
>I look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Jolene
-- 
Umran Inan
Packard Bldg Rm. 355, 350 Serra Mall
Stanford University,  Stanford, CA 94305-9515
Tel: (650) 723-4994,  FAX: (650)723-9251
Home Page:  http://www-star.stanford.edu/~vlf/